Furniture Terminology for $100, Alex. The name of the type of antique dresser with two small pull out drawers on top. What is a Glove Box Dresser? It took some research to get the proper name. Now I feel smart.
I almost passed on this purchase because it was $5 above my budget. That is an unbelievable close call. So happy to transform it into something beautiful. This guy was beat to hell especially on the edges, corners and top – like with a hammer. It suffered much use in it’s day . . . like since 1880!
Look what was found behind the mirror!
It’s a page from the Canadian Independent from the 1880’s announcing Thanksgiving Day National Holiday. Unintended time capsule. Yeah, I put it back after it was painted and re-assembled.
Cotton Soft White Distressed
Pictures and color are somewhat unreliable. These were taken on a cloudy day and looks light gray but it’s not. Since the original piece was ‘rustic’, I thought it best to take advantage of it by going for ‘farmhouse’ or ‘shabby’ styling.
The Labor of Love:
- Primed with stain blocking primer – stinky stinky stinky
- Two coats custom blend cotton soft white chalk paint
- Added top drawer applique’ for some extra chic
- Removed the not-original bat-wing handles and replaced with new shabby knobs from Hobby Lobby.
- Kept the original ceramic knobs on the top two glove box drawers
- Tastefully distressed and sanded
- Top coated with 2 applications General Finishes High Performance Flat.
There’s Always Trouble
When I type out the list of the makeover tasks, it looks and sounds so easy! But . . . something always comes up that’s a struggle. Stain from the old wood managed to seep through the paint in some areas. It is something I know to expect when painting with white but I still get frustrated. It didn’t take much to fix. Yay!
Check the For Sale page to see if this painted 1880 Cotton White Glove Box Dresser is still available.