Painted an outstanding navy, it’s the dramatic blended drawers that give this piece a stunning kick, not to mention updated original Hepplewhite hardware!
She came to me via older sister’s friend that wanted to part ways with grandma’s desk vanity. I love getting pieces with a back story. It is a family hand-me-down originally from Hudson’s, a once premier upscale Detroit department store now sadly closed and demolished. Indeed, it is Drexel brand known for outstanding quality and craftsmanship.
Not able to decide, these 3 inspiration photo’s were posted on KellaChic Facebook Page with an invitation to vote for a favorite. My good friends always point me in the right direction. Hands down the blue won.
The Transformation in Pictures
The top got a “down to the raw wood” sanding, the body primed using oil-based primer then painted using DIY chalk paint recipe. There are also a few minor veneer fixes using putty, not shown.
- Drexel desk vanity solid cherry 6 drawers, (3 on each side) plus 7th top center drawer. Confession: in this hot humid weather, the drawers are sticky. I’m including a wax disk just in case plus a vial of touch up paint.
- 2 coats java oil-based stain reduced the cherry red orange color from the top and gave it a deep and rich brown color finished with at least 3 applications Satin protective topcoat.
- Painted Navy with light blue highlight blended drawers finished with 2 applications Flat sheen topcoat.
- Center drawer detail embellished using Rub N Buff Gold Leaf metallic paste.
- Original Hepplewhite hardware cleaned and spray painted using Rust’Oleum Amber Brown and embellished with the same gold leaf metallic paste which highlights detail.
- The set includes original unattached mirror (colonial header removed) and matching vanity chair.
Dimensions, Price and Location
Desk: 46 wide x 19 deep x 30 tall
Mirror: 32 tall x 24 wide